Monday, August 29, 2011

My Makeshift Family Photo


***UPDATE***
Because I have received many emails regarding this family photo diagram, I am now offering custom design services in my etsy shop. You can find the listing HERE.

**************************

Original Post:

My little brother moved to college this weekend and is starting his first day of college today! He is getting so grown up. I wonder if my mom is shedding a tear or two over her "baby" growing up right now? He would like to think so, but really we aren't that sentimental of a family so I would guess no. Sorry bud!

Anyway, I remember when I moved to college and how awesome I felt to "live on my own." And even better than that? Actually getting MAIL at that new address! So, I decided to send my little bro a quick package to his new apartment. In it I wanted to include a family photo for him to put on his new desk in his new room of his new apartment. However, we haven't had a family photo taken in over two years! Shame on us. The most recent is missing two neices and a nephew, and that just wouldn't do.

I decided to design him a "makeshift" family photo until we get the next one taken. I originally planned on just collaging photos of the family together in a 8x10 frame. However, when I sat down at the computer to make it, I got this genius idea to to a radial diagram of our family with my parents in the middle, their kids (and spouse, where applies) in the first tier, and grandkids in second tier. Then I ran our family name in the blank space so it didn't look so awkward that Ty is the only one without a kid (or one on the way... if you noticed my little 3D ultrasound photo there!). I am very happy with how it turned out and definitely need to print one for me too!


20 comments:

  1. I love this!! What program did you use to make it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leisha! I used a combo of photoshop and illustrator-- it could probably be done all in photoshop but I used illustrator to make the shapes that I used as a mask around the photos just because it was faster for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so awesome!!! Wish I had photoshop and could make one!!!!

      Delete
  3. loni, this is such a great idea! i love it. hope you're doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an amazing idea - I might copy a bit... hope you are ok with that :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. fanstastic! I wanna make one! :c )

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful design.. it really speaks to me - the circle of life/family! Will you be making it available for download or for purchase? I'd love to know! Thanks for sharing your creative ideas...!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this idea, but not being the most computer savvy I'm also wondering if you'll be making this available for download or purchase? Such an awesome idea for large and spread out families!

    ReplyDelete
  8. any chance you'd share the template?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this!! Checked your etsy shop hoping that it was a download that I could purchase. Would purchase this to make gifts for in-laws for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Please let us know if you decide to sell a layered template for use with PSE!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi everyone, I now offer this in my etsy shop. Here is the link:
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/LoniHarris?ref=si_shop

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. OMG,, my married name is Pilcher !!!
    i have NEVER seen anything with our name.

    VERY COOL !!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Is it still possible to purchase the template? Or directions on how to make it in photoshop? Thanks! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, no template because of the vast number of variations from one family to the next. You can purchase custom design services for this item from my etsy shop, if you are interested. loniharris.etsy.com . Thanks!

      Delete
  14. It says unavailable on etsy. I would love to pay you for two of them. I cannot for the life of me figure out illustrator. Please help!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Would you be willing to do a custom template for me on this? I love it and want one for our home, but also to gift to my mother in law for her upcoming birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi ..this is lovely! Is there a download version available for this template? Would love to place an order...

    thanks

    ReplyDelete
  17. Interesting and inexpensive collages you can find here: https://www.fiverr.com/art3design

    ReplyDelete